Moving to Norway? – Initial Tips on Arrival

It can be a stressful experience moving to a new city/country but even more so if you don’t speak the language. Below are some useful (general) tips if you are moving to Norway.

  1. Make sure you filled in and submit your application to The Norwegian Directorate of Immigration (UDI) website. You can do this by going to the UDI application portal and create a new user account. Follow through the instruction and fill in accordingly. The UDI’s website is well-documented around the different types of applications, rules and requirements. You should have an appointment scheduled at this stage for you to see the officer (usually at the Police Station).
  2. When you move to the Norway, you need to visit the Tax office (Skatteetaten) to register yourself. More information at New in Norway and’s website. To register for more than 6 months stay, you need to bring your passport, tenancy contract or house purchase contract, employment contract (if you are working in Norway), confirmation of admission from your study institution if you are studying or any other documentation helps to shows that you are intending to stay in Norway for six months or more. Once you have registered yourself with them. You will be received a letter in your mail either the D-Number (if you are staying for less than 6 months) or National Identity number. Along with this, you will also received a letter with your *assigned primary doctor (GP aka fastlege)*. ——- Remember that Tax office (Skatteetaten) have a National Registry that contains all important information pertaining to you so you need to notify them whenever you move to ensure your address is correct. This include moving within Norway, moving to Norway and also when you are leaving the country for more than 6 months.
  3. Once you have your D-Number or National Identity number from the Tax Office, then you can proceed to opening a bank account. You will not be able to do so without the number above. List of the different banks in Norway. Note all banks have different procedures and requirements to open an account for you. Some are harder than the others. If you fail at opening at one of the bank, just try again with another. Some of the more common used banks are (not limited to) Sbanken, DNB and Sparebank. You can also read more about opening a bank account here.
  4. Note that you will only be able to apply for a mobile subscription (mobile plan) once you have D-Number or National ID. More on the mobile services providers.
  5. After 3 months, you can then, apply for a BankID. BankID is basically a personal digital ID for identification and signatures that you use online. So it is actually official for verification and it is a binding electronic signature. BankID is used by all the banks, organisations and enterprises in Norway. More information about BankID here.

*The Norwegian Directorate of Health (Helfo), is your primary access point for healthcare administration in Norway. Here, you can change your regular GP that have been assigned to you, you can also order a European Health Insurance Card (if you are entitled to this), know your rights and any other related health information that you may be looking for.

p/s: Healthcare in Norway is NOT free. I have no idea why people kept claiming that it is. Everyone who have registered themself with the National Registry as resident is entitled to have a General Practitioner (GP or “fastlege” in Norwegian). And, residents must pay for nearly all treatment except for if you are pregnant or for children under 16 years old. You also have to pay for a standard consultation with a GP. However, you can apply for an exemption card (frikort in Norwegian) which entitles you to free treatment for the remainder of the year once you reach the annual limit. There is two categories of Exemption Card for different user. Please check out this page for an updated information.

Healthcare is FREE for children under sixteen and (nearly FREE) for pregnant women. Public dental treatment is also FREE for children under eighteen (except for dental braces). However if you are an adolescents of 19-20 years of age, the Public Dental Health Service will cover 75% of the expenses while you pay 25% yourself.


What do you think?

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.