RECIPES COMPLETED: 02/104 | WEEKS REMAINING: 52/52
Original Recipe can be found here: Baked gnocchi with bacon, tomato and mozzarella
500g store-bought gnocchi
250g bacon, chopped
2 garlic cloves, crushed
1 teaspoon smoked paprika
1 400g tin chopped tomatoes
1 tablespoon tomato paste
handful cherry tomatoes, halved
1 teaspoon sugar
2-3 tablespoons cream/yoghurt
large handful fresh parsley, chopped
salt & pepper to taste
100g mozzarella, sliced
- Pre-heat the oven to 200°c.
- Bring a large pot of salted water to the boil.
- In the meantime, make the sauce.
- In a large, hot frying pan, fry the bacon until starting to crisp with most of the fat rendered.
- Pour off most of the fat then add the garlic and smoked paprika and fry for 30 seconds.
- Add all of the tomatoes and the sugar and allow to simmer for 5 minutes.
- Remove the pan from the heat and stir in the cream/yoghurt, parsley and seasoning.
- Cook the gnocchi in the salted water until it starts floating to the top. Remove with a slotted spoon and add to the sauce.
- Transfer the gnocchi and sauce to an oven-proof dish and top with the sliced mozzarella.
- Place in the oven and bake for 10 minutes until the mozzarella is melted and golden.
- Remove from the oven and allow to rest for 5 minutes before serving.
I’m still on track. I decided to make Italian this time and I came across this recipe. Seem simple enough and looks yummy. So, I head of to the local supermarket to get all the ingredients. Make the sauce pretty much from scratch which was awesome. Taste super yummy too. I followed the exact instruction this time except reducing the gnocchi from 500g to 250g for 2 which still left us with lots of left over. It’s a great dish and I will definitely make them again in the near future. Oh, I used stronger hot paprika from the Indian shop. That actually added some tang to it. I served this dish with salad as a side.
Give it a try. I love it!